To register on a course
t. (+44) (0) 20 8539 2224

Student Life


Q. Is East London College is Registered for “Sponsors Licensed Under the Points-Based System”? 

A. East London College is proud to be given a "HIGHLY TRUSTED SPONSORSHIP" award by UK Border Agency for Tier 4 student sponsorship. 

Q. How do I qualify to come to the United Kingdom to study? 

A. You must show that you have been accepted for a FULL-TIME course of study at a college or university. And, you must also:
Be able to pay your tuition fees;
Accommodate and otherwise look after yourself and any dependants without receiving public funds or working (visitUKBA website for updated information); and
intend to leave the United Kingdom on completion of your studies.


Q. Can I extend my stay as a student? 

A. If you have already been studying here you can apply for an extension of stay for further studies in the UK if you are enrolled on a full-time course with a college or university. 

Q. How do I apply for a Student Visa? 

A. If you are overseas you should contact the British High Commission or Embassy in your country. If you are in the UK, you may contact the UKBA. You will need to complete an application form and perhaps other documentation.  East London College does provide either legal or immigration advice regarding Visas. If you need specific advice, contact your local British Council or High Commission. You should include the documents provided by the college (CAS letter) as proof of enrolment at East London College. 

Q. Am I allowed to work in the UK while I am studying at East London College? 

A. Please check UKBA website for updated rules. 

Q. May I bring my spouse and children with me? 

A. Please check UKBA website for updated rules. 

Q. Is my spouse allowed to work? 

A. Please check UKBA website for updated rules. 

Q. What is Application Procedures? 

A. Please check Admission Procedure for Application Procedure. 

Q. Financial Information for Students 

A. Bank Account
It is becoming increasingly difficult for students to open bank accounts in the UK. Therefore, we strongly advise students to speak to an international bank, such as HSBC, before travelling to the UK. It may be possible to open a bank in your home country and then operate that account in the UK, or your bank may be able to provide a letter of introduction to facilitate the opening of an account in the UK. facilitate the opening of an account in the UK. 
Living Expenses
We advise our students that the cost of living for one year is approximately £7,500 to £8,000. This includes accommodation, travel and exam fees. 
These prices are an example: 
Travel: as a student you will get discounted travel on London buses and the underground train system so (depending where you live) your month travel card will cost about £20 to £35. 
Food: you would expect to pay about £20 / £30 per week on food for one person. 
Exams: membership fees and exam entry fees for the first year are about £160. 
Books: there is a recommended reading list for students. Tutors may also suggest additional books which may be helpful. We would suggest budgeting about £50 to £100. You also must provide your own stationery (pens, paper, etc). 
Accommodation: our Accommodation Agency (Hosts International) can arrange host family accommodation for you at a cost of £105 per week. Many of our students will do this as a short-term option and then arrange to share accommodation with fellow students (this usually works out a little cheaper). 
Hosts International: 
76-78 Mortimer Street, London, W1W 7SA. 
Tel: +44 (0)20 732Scholarship
You can apply for scholarship at The UK government also offers a limited number of Scholarships through the Chevening scheme - Your own government may offer scholarships for international studies - contact your local British Council offices: 



Q. General Information about the UK 

A. The United Kingdom comprises England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Greater London covers an area of over 600 square miles and has an ever-growing population, currently over 8 million people. Throughout it's history, Britain's own culture has been enriched by many other nationalities. Sometimes by conquering nations! Other times by those seeking asylum or choosing to emigrate here. London, especially, is home to many different nationalities which provides a fascinating variety of culture, food and entertainment. 
Climate , food and entertainment. 
The UK has a very varied climate. November to March are typically cold and wet with the possibility of snow on higher ground. Average temperatures are between 0º and 10º C (50º F). The temperature in summer (July and August) can reach up to 32º C (90º F). More detailed information is available on the BBC (the national news service) 
Whatever the time of year, it is best to have warm clothing with you. During the winter months, a warm waterproof coat is essential. If you plan to explore the UK during your vacations, please remember to bring appropriate clothing, especially if you are travelling to the north of the UK. 
Working/Opening Hours 
Supermarkets are usually open from 8:30 to 20:00 throughout the week and usually 10:00 to 17:00 on Sundays. Some supermarkets in cities are now open 24 hours a day. In major cities such as London, there are many specialist shops selling a wide variety of food so you may still be able to cook up your favourite meal! Shops are generally open from 9:00 to 17:30 (Monday to Saturday) with some shops opening later on certain days or open for a few hours on Sunday. In some smaller towns "half-day closing" occurs. On one day in the week most shops will close at lunchtime. This no longer happens in most larger stores and in cities. Offices hours tend to be 9:00 to 17:30. Banks open from 9:30 to 5:30 (some Banks are opening on Saturday morning). 
Public Holidays
There are 8 public holidays when colleges, offices and most shops will be closed. 
New Year's Day - 1st January. 
Good Friday and Easter Monday - this can occur between mid-March and the end of April. 
Early May Bank Holiday - first Monday in May. 
Spring Bank Holiday - last Monday in May. 
Summer Bank Holiday - last Monday in August. 
Christmas Day - 25th December. Boxing Day - 26th December. 
If you are planning a short visit to London on a visitors visa to look at different colleges before applying, please remember to buy health insurance. If you have come from a country with a health-care agreement with the UK or are staying for more than six months, you may be able to obtain free medical or dental treatment under the NHS. If you are a long-term student (12 months or more), it is advisable for you to register with a local Doctor. We can provide contact details for doctors in your area. You will need to contact the doctor to see if they are accepting new patients and you will normally need to have an appointment to provide basic information about your medical history. You can get more information from the Department of Health: 
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7210 4850 
Public Transport 
In London there is an extensive public transport system - trains, buses, underground trains and light railway. If you use a taxi in London, it is best to use the well-recognised London taxis known as "Black Cabs". They will usually provide a guide to the fare and operate under a proper license. However, public transport is much cheaper! The Greater London area is divided into six travel zones. Zone 1 covers the main business and shopping districts in the centre of London. The College is located in Zone 4. This may sound complex but members of the college administration team will be happy to explain how the travel system works. You can buy daily, weekly and monthly travel cards which either give you access to the buses or to both buses and underground trains. For month travel cards, you will need a photocard and you can also apply for student discount rates. Useful information about public transport in London can be found on and Outside of London public transport varies from area to area. Most major towns and cities are linked by railway. Cities will have regular bus services but smaller towns may not. Internal flights also operate between major cities. 
Social Customs and Leisure 
British people are generally reserved and value their privacy. It is customary to shake hands when meeting someone for the first time, whether male or female. Other physical contact is generally avoided with anyone other than family and close friends. Good manners ("please" and "thank you") and personal hygiene are valued very highly. With the wide variety of cultures in Britain, please use your common sense and try to respect all beliefs and customs. In east London there are many places of Worship (too many to list here) - please ask at the college administration if you would like to be directed to a particular place of Worship. Smoking is generally allowed in public places but restaurants and other public buildings may not allow it. Please respect this and refrain from smoking. In London there is a wide range of activities available to suit all budgets, you can:
experience food, music and entertainment from many countries;
see a variety of sports in the city's large arenas (which also host musical events);
enjoy a range of world famous "West End" shows;
visit museums, art galleries and exhibitions to suit all tastes;
From time to time, we provide information about interesting events around London. We encourage our students to tell us if there is something that they would particularly like to see or do. When site-seeing, photography is usually allowed except in galleries or museums. Some historic buildings may also ask you not to use flash photography. It is also wise to seek permission before taking photographs in a place of worship.